Your chance to win a CV makeover
Take a fresh look at what you have to offer
As the graduate recruitment season hots up, now is the time to take a fresh look at what you have to offer an employer.
Make sure the format of your CV is concise (no more than 2 pages) and the layout is clean and easy to read – no fancy typefaces or pictures.
Put yourself in the shoes of a graduate recruiter – what are they looking for and how do you meet their needs? You should change your CV to suit each particular job application, making sure you mirror the words that are used to describe the experience and skills specified.
Even if you don’t have a job application in mind, you can start honing how you promote yourself in the job market. Here are a few useful tips:
– always relate your work experience to the skills and attributes employers are looking for.
– use practical examples to show these skills and action words such as ‘developed’, ‘planned’, organised’. Good phrases to use in a CV include: ‘I have used X equipment/programmes’; ‘I was given responsibility for..’; ‘I have taught myself…’
– make sure your grammar and spelling is impeccable; mistakes in a CV mean it will be tossed in the bin instantly
– don’t include an opening paragraph that states your personal ‘objectives’: CV’s are about what you offer an employer, not vice versa!
– hobbies and interests should be described in brief and only when they demonstrate your commitment and skills in areas that are relevant to the job
Win a Free CV Makeover worth £250
It can be hard to be objective when it is your own CV so we are offering 3 lucky students the chance of a free CV makeover to kick off the graduate recruitment season. Simply sign up for our free tips and information before January 31st and you will be entered automatically into our great New Year prize draw (conditions apply – see below).
The 3 lucky winners will receive a free appraisal of their CV plus personal advice on how to tailor it to suit their chosen career or graduate recruitment application. We will work with you on how to best illustrate your skills and expertise, the language to use, how to use your CV with a great covering letter – in short, we will help you create a job-winning CV that you can tailor for different applications and situations.
Don’t worry if you are not one of the lucky 3- everyone signing up to our free tips and information will receive our fabulous CV Checklist, packed with lots more practical tips and advice on how to prepare job- winning applications.
Sign up today!
So what are you waiting for….this great opportunity closes on 31st January 2020!
Conditions of entry into the prize draw:
Students must be over 16 and under 22 and residing in the UK. For students under 18, parental permission may be sought prior to conducting the CV appraisal.
The Work Ladder reserves the right to amend the rules and conditions of entry.
Closing date for entry into the prize draw is midnight January 31st 2020
Winners will be contacted by email after January 31st 2020 and before April 1st 2020.
Consultations and CV appraisals may be conducted via email, skype, telephone or face to face, depending on the location of winners.
Further information may be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org